Comfrey Jacobs, a volunteer with Buffalo Field Campaign, risked his own freedom to help prevent the killing of buffalo from the last continuously wild buffalo herd. He blocked the access road to Yellowstone’s Stephens Creek bison trap on Thursday morning. For more than two hours, he stalled trailers from getting to the trap to load buffalo for slaughter. Comfrey’s action has drawn a huge outpouring of public support and awareness, and an incredible amount of media attention to this issue. “Comfrey Jacobs is a hero to a whole lot of people,” said BFC’s Executive Director Dan Brister. “He has given hope and inspiration to thousands of people who are upset by the slaughter of America’s last wild buffalo.”
BFC Press Release: Man Blocks Road to Yellowstone Bison Trap
BFC Press Release: Bison Activist Charged and Released
BFC volunteer photo: Comfrey Jacobs Blocks Trap Access Road
BFC volunteer photo: Agents attempt to undo blockade
Deby Dixon photo: Agents move Comfrey with a tractor
Deby Dixon photo: Agents with Comfrey
BFC volunteer photo: Livestock trailers with buffalo drive away from trap
BFC volunteer photo: A welder attempts to remove Comfrey from his barrel
BFC volunteer photo: Welding continues
BFC volunteer photo: Welding still going on…
*TAKE ACTION TO STOP THE SLAUGHTER!
Adult female buffalo are taking the brunt of the killing through hunting and slaughter.
1. CONTACT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT: Please call Yellowstone Superintendent Dan Wenk at (307) 344-2002, and also send him a letter to urge him to stop the 2014 buffalo slaughter that is currently underway and to fully disclose to the public what is going on at Yellowstone’s Stephens Creek buffalo trap.
2. CONTACT TRIBAL GOVERNMENT: Contact the Confederated Salish & Kootenai Tribes and urge them to stop taking buffalo to slaughter.
3. CONTACT TRIBAL CORPORATION: Contact the InterTribal Buffalo Council board of directors and member tribes and urge them to end the betrayal and stop the slaughter!
4. CONTACT MONTANA GOVERNMENT: Contact Montana Governor Steve Bullock and urge him to champion wild buffalo in Montana by increasing access to habitat and ending the Montana Department of Livestock’s authority over wild buffalo!
5. Visit the Website http://www.buffalofieldcampaign.org/ to get more information on how you can contact other decision-makers who need to hear from you and please share the links to these take action alerts on Facebook and other social media outlets. And please consider joining us on the front lines. See the website for details. Thank you!
* The Buffalo Need You. Volunteer or Donate Today.
If you have ever dreamed of standing with buffalo and fighting for their rights to be wild, NOW IS THAT TIME! BFC is in need of caring people to make this sacred sacrifice to help the buffalo. Buffalo Field Campaign invites you to join them on the front lines, here on the edge of the world’s first national park, to defend America’s last wild, migratory buffalo. State, federal, and tribal governments are in the process of capturing and killing hundreds of wild bison. They aim to reduce the already vulnerable population of America’s last wild, migratory buffalo to a mere 3,000 animals.
We need more people to stand with us and protect the buffalo. Please, if you have ever thought about coming out they need help! BFC provides room, board, gear, and training while the wildlife and wild lands provide incredible inspiration. Please visit the volunteer page to fill out an application or email their volunteer coordinators or 406-646-0070. Bring your passion and your ideas.
If you can not join them in person they can still use your help. Please use the DONATE NOW button http://www.buffalofieldcampaign.org to make a tax-deductible contribution to this important work for the buffalo.